June 20, 2012— The Elizabethtown Area School District is pleased to announce the hiring of Lauren Cavallaro as the district’s new athletic director. Ms. Cavallaro comes to Elizabethtown from Miami University of Ohio where has served in a number of capacities including director of academic support services for athletics and football administration, director of football operations, and NCAA compliance coordinator.
The Elizabethtown Area school board approved Ms. Cavallaro’s hiring at its June 12 board meeting.
“We are extremely excited to have Ms. Cavallaro join our team as our new director of athletics,” said Michele Balliet, superintendent of schools for the district. “Lauren impressed our interview team with her commitment to developing well balanced student-athletes. Her vast experience in the arena of athletic administration including academic compliance, accountability, budget management, and community outreach will serve the Elizabethtown community well.”
The interview team was comprised of district-level administrators, board members, current and former athletic directors, current EAHS coaches, and a community member.
Ms. Cavallaro attended the University of Pittsburgh where she earned a master’s degree in higher education administration and a bachelor’s degree in communications/political science/English. As a member of Miami University of Ohio Department of Intercollegiate Athletics, Ms. Cavallaro played a lead role in the following areas:
• Coordinating NCAA compliance initiatives for the football program
• Overseeing the day-to-day operations of the school’s football program including the development.
• Developing and monitoring a $1.5 million budget as director of football operations.
• Supervising the “Leadership Council” of the football team that was created to instill accountability, responsibility, pride, and string mentorship in the program.
• Monitoring NCAA academic standards for 19 sports teams including progress toward degree, initial eligibility, and continuing eligibility.
Ms. Cavallaro also organized game day activities for the football team as well as public relations events including community outreach, charity events, and speaking engagements. Prior to joining the staff at Miami University, Ms. Cavallaro served in a leadership capacity at the University of Pittsburgh where she was the Office of Cross Cultural and Leadership Development Coordinator. Prior to joining the collegiate world, she was a high school social studies teacher in Florida as part of the Teach for America Atlanta program.
Ms. Cavallaro is a native of central Pennsylvania. She will begin her duties in July.