May 21st, 2009
The Elizabethtown Journal has been designed to be a comprehensive site for citizen journalism organized around a core of regular news and features about local government, civic, economic, and social life. A citizen journalism site seeks input from all members of the community and attempts to make contributions a simple task. As part of the mission, forums and conversations about anything posted on the site are encouraged.
The following is a preliminary outline of the mission of the Elizabethtown Journal:
1. To provide news about local civic life and government,
2. To provide features about local civic life and government that is not usually accessible to residents,
3. To provide news about local social and economic life,
4. To provide features about local social and economic life that is not usually accessible to residents,
5. To provide an integrated calendar for community events (defined very broadly)(open submission).
Outer Core Mission:
1. News and features from the college,
2. News and features from the schools and school district.
Periphery Mission (citizen journalism part):
1. Any citizen submission consistent with the goals of citizen journalism (as long as it is not offensive),
2. Dialogs and comments about anything on the site,
3. Virtually no topic is out of bounds.